Thursday 26 June, 2008

Disconnect & Darkness :-(

Last few days I feel a huge disconnect - between me and the world. I no longer relate to lots of things that I am supposed to- to things that would have hurt me, pained me, made me care about, made me think- even a year ago. I scoff at almost anything I see. TV shows, newspaper columns, advertisements... I can't relate to any of the stuff shown there. Agreed, most of it is junk, but still.
If that is not such a big deal then I can't relate to my friends either, it seems, they don't understand me either. Why blame them, things they discuss seem so trivial to me. Surely we shouldn't be wasting so much of our time on these topics. Discussions about relationships being an apt example.
In the past year, there have been only a handful of intellectually stimulating discussions with anyone at all. Although they have been fun, I seem to not want to argue with people most of the time. Everyone should form his or her opinions on their own. Arguing, discussing with others is a crutch that you need when you are unsure about yourself, when you need the approval of someone else to know that you are right.
As Ayn Rand put it, privacy and seclusion is a sign of human development. Since the world began, we have been moving from a herd mentality to living alone. So is this mental isolation yet another sign of progress?
I view most of the world in a disconnected way. Like I am removed from it, and that it cannot affect me. And even if it does, I don't care. I shall live through the pain.
Living up to my name I guess - 'Aniket' - it means unaffected, or one who is above worldly matters. :-)


Or maybe then again, I am just losing touch with reality. Going crazy...

3 comments:

mandar said...

"Arguing, discussing with others is a crutch that you need when you are unsure about yourself, when you need the approval of someone else to know that you are right."

Forgive me, but I think your opinion is valid if only if you get someone to accept it...An opinion such as,say, "Monkeys are bright purple in colour" is preposterous, even if you believe it with all your heart.. :P

[As always, exaggeration is freely used above, and should be corrected for :) ]

Akash... said...

@Mandar
Hmm, no wonder he isn't arguing!

@Aniket
Sorry for reading this late, but I hope you are out of that mode which could be called disillusionment or enlightenment depending on a person's will (Though I think it should be called self-realization).
Find your way out, or go deeper, for both ways lead you to the same place. :)
(Just don't forget to smile!)

Nalini said...

hope you are out of that mode.
if not, it puts me in a tough situation,i cant understand-if
u dont argue,
u dont connect,
u dont feel,
u dont enjoy the company,
are you even living? if yes, you have developed ur own definition of life, and in that case it is development. if no, it is just a sorry state of mind and get the hell out of it!
:)