Tuesday 28 July, 2009

Chamonix

We took the TGV { :D :D :D } from the Gare de Lyon in Paris to Lyon, and then changed three regional trains to reach Chamonix by 4 30pm. By then we were in a disastrous state. One wheel of the big strolley bag that Minu and Payal had, had come off, and it was barely possible for two people to struggle along with it. The fact that we did not know the directions to the hostel seemed a minor blip on the radar. Eventually, we got out at the main Chamonix station, walked to the tourism office, and got to know that the Youth Hostel was 2 train stops before town. Now for very dumb reasons, and due to the shut down that our brains had undergone after a very hectic last 48 hours, we got onto the train back, and got off just 1 stop later! As a consequence, we were hauling up a hill, around 9 heavy bags, sacks, one with a broken wheel. We tried catching a bus, but nothing worked. Eventually, we reached up to the hostel at 7 20 or so, after cursing the hill we were climbing, and were more than happy to go and crash in our rooms.

An awesome journey this was, not to say, hilarious in light of posteriority.

And now, today is Sunday, the 19th, when I sit in the Chamonix hostel room, too tired to coax myself to move from bed, content to sit and type onto my laptop the happenings till now.

On this Sunday, the others went hiking into the mountains, as a result of which they had some pretty pictures to show. I contented myself to sit and type into this journal for the entire morning, stretching well into the afternoon. We discovered that, we could travel free in the train till the end of France – to a place called Vallerene on the France-Swiss border. Having nothing better to do with our time, we decided that going on this 40 minute journey was the best thing that we could do with our time at hand. Climbing down from the hostel to Les Pellerines train station, we took the train to Vallercene. The travel was really scenic, with Mont Blanc and other snow clad peaks constantly in view. The Europeans have build so many cable cars, and to such heights that I keep getting astonished at their engineering. Cable cars reach upto heights of 3800m to a place called Augere du Midi. Apparently, this place is 8km from the Mont Blanc peak, and offers stunning views of it. However, being on a shoestring budget, we contended ourself with seeing the cars from Chamonix – from a height of 1095m, from the comfort of our train. During the 40 min journey, I was invited to showcase my singing skills by Minu and H, and needless to say, I grabbed the opportunity, my newfound confidence in my voice egging me on. Since then I have been singing a lot on the trip. :P

Vallercene was quite a disappointment. We were hoping to have dinner here, but were disappointed at the lack of eateries here. So we took the same train back to Chamonix. We were in Vallercene exactly for 10 min – from 5 50 to 6pm. :D In Chamonix, we headed to Elevation 1904 – a place recommended by the Lonely Planet guide. 1904 did not disappoint. The nice cool bar, with the friendly barman, was enticing, and H and I decided that this might be the best time to get high. We started with some Vodka and Tequila, and by the time we were done, we were 12 euros lighter in our pockets, and more light in our heads. The best thing about getting high is that you speak things as soon as they come to mind. You do not stop to think about whether what you say might sound stupid, and this was great fun! We took the bus back to hostel. H and I then played pool, which again was good fun, despite our obvious lack of judgment and concentration! We headed back to our room, me quite sleepy coz of the alcohol. Chamonix was the first place where all of us were in the same dorm. After chatting for a while, I turned in at 12 30 am or so. Irritatingly for me, H and Minu were chatting right across from my bed.

After a sleep punctuated by short gaps of “Shh…” we had to wake up early, taking the early morning train from Chamonix to Lyon. We had a short 1 hr 20 min or so gap at Lyon before our connection to Marseille. After packing some lunch from Subway, I went for a short walk around the station. I moved from the back of the station, from a blatantly office district, from under a under-rail bridge into the main Lyon downtown. Without any particular plans I entered ‘Carrefour’ the famous mall chain that I happened to spot. There were plenty of ‘Soldes’ (Sales) on, despite which, the prices were mostly unaffordable to me. I found a shop selling 3 euro tee shirts, but still I got a feeling that the cost should have been 2 euros each, and I did not buy anything. :P

1 comment:

mandar said...

Aight so I read this after a little while and see a million posts on Europe?

Nice job describing the whole journey though, and your tolerance towards alcohol of all kinds seems to have increased considerably :p